Friday, November 21, 2008

Welcome to parenthood

So Jason and I are starting to experience real parenthood now that Jalen is getting used to being in this world and becoming more comfortable with showing his feelings. My mom went home yesterday so today was my first full day home alone with him. We did pretty well too, I fed him when I gt up, changed him and then he went right down for a nap in his Pack-n-Play long enough that I got to shower, get ready, do some laundry, feed Ali and Laila and grab a snack. I felt so accomplished! I am learning very quickly though that new moms don't eat. Going from me needing to eat almost every couple hours to only eating a snack for breakfast, a snack for lunch and when Jason gets home, an actual dinner, is quite a change but my body seems to be adjusting easily because I am actually not that hungry either. I am breastfeeding him every 1-2 hours now and every 3 hours at night and changing about 10+ diapers a day. They say 4 poopy diapers and 6 wet ones are a good sign that he is eating enough, well we meet that quota by the early evening so I assume he is getting enough but we'll see when he gets weighed on Monday.

We are also now needing to use our Pee-pee Tee-Pees when we change him because he, like clockwork, shoots a stream straight in the air at us as soon as the diaper comes off and the wet wipe touches him. He is going through a fussy stage right now and it usually comes right about the time we are getting ready for bed, he acts hungry but won't eat, doesn't need a diaper change and is pretty much inconsolable for a few hours but when he does eventually fall asleep, he is out and I have to really wake him up.



Napping with mommy


Learning to play in his bouncer--he was batting at the elephant but I don't know that he was meaning to or just was hitting it coincidentally as he flailed his arms.



Being fussy

Dancing around with Grammie

A video of Jalen waking up from his nap and all of his funny little faces he makes right when he is waking up...enjoy!

2 comments:

Julie L. said...

Joely, Love the video. He is so cute, I just want to hold and kiss him!!! love you, Julie

Wendy said...

What a sweetie! Check out The Happiest Baby on the Block to help with the colicy issues. Dr. Karp has some good suggestions for calming a fussy baby. I got the book and video at the library. We can't wait to meet him. Hugs!